Friday, May 27, 2005

Fear of flying

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

How’s this for getting a punch in the face from your ol’ pal, Perspective?

I get on my flight, bound for Texas.

I’m flying First Class, because I just couldn’t be bothered to book an earlier flight, and by the time I get around to it, First Class is all that’s left.

I’m hanging around the airport, because my flight has been delayed due to “weather.”

Isn’t there “weather” every-fucking-where?

Thunderstorms.

So I wait.

And notice a beautiful girl.

By herself.

And I wonder, “What’s her story?”

I board the plane.

She’s in line ahead of me.

We’re in the same row.

I have the window, she has the aisle.

I’m planning to watch “Layer Cake” again.

She’s sniffling like a cokehead.

I’m annoyed.

She’s crying.

And looking at the pictures on her camera.

The camera that is now in my pocket.

Be patient, please. We’ll get to that.

I, being me, ask “Sweetie, are you o.k.?”

“No.”

“If I can help, I hope you’ll let me.”

Pause.

“What’s wrong?”

“I lost my fiancée.”

Now, she’s really crying.

I don’t know if she means he left her, or she left him, or if, maybe, he’s just, y’know, “lost.”

Like car keys.

“What’s your name?”

“Suzanne.”

“What’s your middle name, Suzanne?”

“Jennifer.”

“Of course it is.”

My history with ‘the Jennifers’ has yet to be recorded. For now, let’s just say, I’m not surprised she’s a Jennifer.

She doesn’t know, but suspects the worst. That her fiancée, the man she’s loved for two years, the love of her life, is dead.

So I distract her.

LOTS of questions.

When I say lots, I mean it the same way I mean I spanked Amanda, ‘hard.’

My connecting flight is almost over.

The one I’m writing this while I’m riding on.

I don’t want to have to pick up later.

Jennifer is tragic and beautiful, and I’ve invited her to spend the weekend with me – if she needs to get away. My people in Texas are outstanding in this regard. All are welcome. It makes for a pretty big tent, but then, it's a big state.

And she gave me her camera.

Just to insure we stayed in touch.

So…

What now?

3 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Blogger The Snakehead said...

Well, for starters, you might get to spank her sorrows away.

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Jezebelle said...

Damn boy! Great story...let us know how it goes ;)

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take pictures of yourself? And of your friends in Texas?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home