Tuesday, April 19, 2005

I'm still here

Which is a bit surprising, even to me. Good habits take, what? Seven times? 22 times? I don't remember. But I'll go with doing something between seven and twenty-two times makes it a habit. I don't know where I'm getting those numbers - but I seem to have a really good memory for assorted errata. Like "errata," for instance. I think it means "really random bits of information that are probably no use." Which makes "assorted" redundant in the sentence. But part of the way I'm attempting to DO this writing, is not editing, so while I'm aware it's redundant, I don't think it's a good idea for me to go back and change it. Because it's not a habit I want to get into.

My idea for this is to try to give whoever ends up one day reading it, a glimpse into my head. And write or wrong, understandable or not, I'm doing a pretty good job of staying stream of conscience. That looks spelled wrong. I used to be a much better speller. Don't imagine there is much I can do about it.

So, to try to pick up a bit from where I dropped off yesterday, or maybe not at all: I got a call back from the place I had an initial phone screen with. Which is very good. I think it's a job I can do, and the call back was to arrange an interview for Thursday and even though I'm scheduled to work then, I think I can get it covered, so I think Thursday it will be the day. I think I'm actually speaking with the decision maker. I need to spend some more time learnng about the company.

This is a very big deal. For any number of reasons. I can't even point to the biggest reason because they are all friggin' HUGE. I owe Jennifer probably close to 10k by now. That's one reason. I haven't had a "real" job since I got RIF'd in 2001. That's another. I managed to run up $40k in student loans pursuing one of the more employable graduate degrees. I finished that almost a year ago. Then moved from the bottom middle of the country to the upper left, leaving behind my "network." Jesus, I'm sick of using quotes. But that's how those words sound in my head. As if someone should be making the "air quotes" around the words I've enclosed within them.

Probably need to go into some more depth with the whole process of deciding to go to grad school, what happened there, and what's happened since, but I just don't think I have time today. I need to be doing some research on what I REALLY hope becomes my new company because I am very ready to get over needing those jobs to cover my loans and cell phone bill. It would be nice to have some financial stability again. And to actually have to think about my work, instead of just busting my ass to do my job.

So I hope no one is terribly disappointed that I didn't cover anything sexy, or relating to a relationship or anything else. I guess I'm being selfish and discussing what's on my mind, and today sex was definitely on my mind, but right before I sat down to write, I got a call back from the recruiter so that was that. Make no mistake, though, gang. I'll get back to the dirt soon.

Hope all of you are getting lucky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home